MAKING YOUR WASH
- Fill the G40 with 32L of water and heat to a temperature of 65°C.
- When the water reaches 65°C, slowly add the grain, stirring slowly as you do to avoid dry clumps. Stir your Still Spirits Distiller’s Enzyme Alpha-amylase into the mash and leave for 60 minutes.
- After 60 minutes ramp the temperature up to 75°C for the mash out. Continue to recirculate the wort at 75°C for 10 minutes.
- Sparge with 18.5L of water – ensure the water is 75°C.
- Set the Grainfather to boil. Once it reaches 100°C, boil for 30 minutes. Ensure you pat down the proteins at the start of the boil to avoid foaming over. Allow the wort to cool.
- Once the temperature of the wort drops below 65°C, add the Still Spirits Distiller’s Enzyme Glucoamylase and hold at 50-60°C for 60 minutes for the enzyme to saccharify the starch. Alternatively, you can cool the wort to 25-32°C (86-90°F), adding your enzyme directly to the fermenter along with the yeast, fermenting at an optimum ambient air temperature of 25-32°C for simultaneous saccharification and fermentation.
- Give the wort a good stir and then cool it using the counter flow wort chiller as per the Grainfather instructions. Once the wort is in your fermenter(s) and has cooled to below 35°C, pitch the yeast. Ferment at 20-35°C ambient air temperature for optimum performance and quality.
- Once the specific gravity has been stable for two consecutive days, this indicates fermentation is complete. You should now leave your wash to stand for 1-2 days for any remaining solids and yeast to settle out. Still Spirits Turbo Clear can be used here to speed up the clarification process.
DISTILLING YOUR VODKA
The wash should be siphoned into your G40 leaving behind the sediment. Before you do this, you will need to perform the following steps.
Click on the following links for the full instructions:
- Prepare your G40 for Reflux Distilling
- Assemble the Distilling Lid and Attachments Kit
- Set up the T500 Reflux Condenser
- Use the T500 Reflux Condenser
After distilling you will be left with a neutral, but slightly grainy, spirit.
The spirit is now ready to dilute 38-42% ABV (Alcohol by Volume) and enjoy, or if you want to try something different – you can always add some oak or other fruits for something new.